Monday, November 24, 2008

Twilight


Under the recommendation of several students I have been reading the Twilight series. I have read the first two and am sort of stuck on the third. I see the appeal for students, forbidden love is always a good story. However, I have some issues with the protagonist. She always is in need or rescuing. Come on ladies, we don't need a man to rescue us, even if he is a dashingly handsome vampire. I want a strong protagonist who rescues the guy for once. If you really want a story of forbidden love, read Romeo and Juliet or for a lighter approach try A Midsummer Night's Dream.
This weekend I went to the movies to see The Changeling, but somehow messed up the times and ended up going to see Twilight. Just another case of the book being better than the movie. The actress who plays Bella only seems to have one expression and relies on it, no matter what the circumstance. Her character seemed just as weak in the movie as it does in the novels.
I heard on the radio this morning that the movie quickly hit number one this weekend, with a primary audience of young women ages 15-25. Who else saw this movie? What are your thoughts?

Movie Poster Compliments of: Twilight Movie Poster (Online Image). http://itsderrick.wordpress.com, November 24, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment